Wednesday, March 29, 2006

God more glorified through money or time?

The Geography Division of the US Census Bureau (translation: where I work) is relocating in August. At that time, I will be taking the Metro into work most of the time. My brother and I discussed various options: parking at Vienna and Metroing in from there, taking an Express Bus from the Herndon-Monroe Park and Ride to Rosslyn, then Metroing from there, taking a regular bus to West Falls Church etc. Some options are quicker, others are more cost efficient. At the end of our conversation, my brother said something to the effect of, "The best plan depends on whether you want to minimize travel time, cost, or some cross-section of both."

This statement got me thinking - what is God's criteria for the situation? If I minimize travel time, that frees up a little more of my day for other activities - prayer, meditation, reading, etc. If I minimize cost, that frees up more money to invest in worthy causes - such as world missions. Choosing an option with a lengthened commute time does not preclude me from some activities like prayer or reading, but I find them harder to do when I'm passively or actively engaged in another action (ex: traveling).

Maybe I should 'play it safe' and try for the third option - finding a balance between cost efficiency and commute efficiency. What do you think?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

go for the cost-effective plan. and give all your saved monies to worthy causes. like the Save The Canadans Foundation.

1:58 PM  
Blogger vandorsten said...

Ha - Truitt said "Candadans". He loves those guys.

My... ahem... two cents: There's plenty of money out there. You can spend that stuff all day and then make some more if you want. Time... well, there's not so much of that. Spend it how you like, but you can't make any more at the end of the day.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe you can make some more if you want...

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grayum great topic. ANd jason makes a great point, and to further that, it seems that God does more with time/people rather than money.

To me its easy to give money, but my time, not so much. Its hard, because i am a selfish bastard. And if I give a huge amount of money, then I feel like I did my part, when i reality God calls us to do both.

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home