Saturday, October 14, 2006

On Fun

What is the role of fun in the life of a Christian? This is something I often think about, and had wanted to blog about, but forgot about until one of John Piper's sermons reminded me of the thought chain.

Here are some Google definitions of fun: 'activities that are enjoyable and amusing', 'playfulness: a disposition to find (or make) causes for amusement', 'amusing: providing enjoyment; pleasantly entertaining.' I like fun activities - they stimulate me, entertain me, and (sometimes) provide relaxation. I enjoy watching football (especially the Redskins), lacrosse (especially Navy or Syracuse), March Madness, surfing the Internet, talking about fantasy football, and playing video games (though I barely play them anymore).

But is Jesus Christ glorified in these activities? Do they help me stay relevant to the culture, or engrossed in it? Do they provide needed rest from work and ministry, or an idolatrous distraction from the living God? Do they enable me to evangelize with more effectiveness (a la 1 Corinthians 9:22), or cause me to act, think and talk just like the world system?

Sometimes when my conscience challenges me about my involvement in such activities, I try to defend myself with 1 Timothy 4:4b, which states that 'nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude' or 1 Timothy 6:17b, which indicates that God 'richly supplies us with all things to enjoy.' Is this a Christ-centered use of these verses?

It seems to me like I approach such issues with a "what's wrong with this?" mindset. In other words, if I can't think of a Bible verse that speaks against a particular action, then I'm free to do it. However, the harder question to answer is "what's right with this?" Or, as these Christian men I respect put it:

How does this help me treasure Jesus Christ? (John Piper paraphrase)
How does this help fulfill the Great Commission? (K.P. Yohannan)

To put it another way, instead of engaging in fun activities, would God rather me rest by praying, reading Christian biography or instructive books, meditating on Scripture, loving someone else besides me, studying God-centered doctrine or pondering the nature of God and of man?

Your thoughts are welcome...........

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like what Steve Brown (old guy but amazing thinker/teacher) said about the beginnings of the Feast of Purim, in a study of Esther... 'if there isn't laughter in the church then Jesus has left the builing.'

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...building...

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home